Charles Schucker, a pioneer American painter and Professor Emeritus of Pratt Institute School of Art and Design, was a first-generation Abstract Expressionist.
He was born in Gap, Pennsylvania in 1908 and attended the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, graduating with honors in 1933. After winning a scholarship for a trip to Europe, he settled in Chicago where he worked for the Works Progress Administration and had his first solo exhibition at the Benjamin Krohn Gallery in 1940.
In 1946, he moved to Brooklyn Heights, New York, teaching at New York University City College and from 1956 to 1985, the Pratt Institute. In New York, his style became increasingly abstract. Using Poured oil paint thinned with turpentine and unstretched canvases which are often cut and sewed to accommodate overlapping designs, Schucker has achieved a personal imagery quite unlike that of other “pourers,” such as Morris Louis. It is an imagery which is abstract, but conveys the unmistakable aura and feel of landscape. In the end, however, it is the visual poetry which these paintings evoke.